About Bill O’Brien, And Other Spuds And Potatos

Whoops — “potatoes.” I was having a Dan Quayle moment there.

I’m addicted. There, I said it. There are two television programs I can’t avoid. “Two & 1/2 People” is one show, and WMUR’S “CloseUp” is the other. If you call me when those shows are on, you’ll go to voicebox. Guaranteed. I don’t even screen my calls then. I just switch off the ringer.

For that one hour of TV weekly, I subscribe to cable. Otherwise, picking up used DVDs or VHS tapes for $1.00 at Goodwill or Salvation Army Stores would fill my entertainment life.

This Sunday’s WMUR CloseUp had Bill O’Brien on it. He talked about Anne Kuster going to Washington and “losing her New Hampshire values.” She didn’t pay some bills on time, like many of us because of the economy that we inherited from eight years of the Dick Cheney-George W. Bush administration, and he attacks her on that.

He’s thinking of running against her. My goodness.

Neat distraction from the real issues. Republican right-wingers and Tea Partiers are good at that technique.

As if Bill O’Brien’s votes have fulfilled New Hampshire values of equality for all of our residents, quality education, caring for our children and our seniors and needy, and planning for our future.

Oh well.

Another topic on CloseUp was about the legislative bill working itself through the State House adopting potatoes. I think that’s fine, and if I was there and I was the 401st House member or the 25th State Senator I’d vote “yea.”

Potatoes are good. They never hurt anyone. If you don’t add lots of oil or butter on them they’re quite healthy. They’re from the ground. Like carrots, they have to be dug up to find them so they provide good exercise for human beings or other animals like bunnies and cats and dogs.

And potatoes helped defeat the Republicans in 1992 because they couldn’t spell, and that reminded the American people that we needed leaders who had gone to school and had education.

My votes are for Anne Kuster and potatoes. There, I’ve done my venting for another week. And I can now look forward to Thursday night’s Two & 1/2 People. If I’m not here at 8:30 PM I’ll tape it on my VHS VCR — which I can figure out: even though the little timer light still blinks like crazy, it doesn’t have all the buttons that my DVD recorder has.

I’m happy.

7 Responses to About Bill O’Brien, And Other Spuds And Potatos

1. The Money Magician February 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

I just broke down and got a DVR, in part because CloseUp is on at the same time as one of MY must-see TV shows: Fareed Zakariah’s GPS (“Global Public Square”), on CNN. There are a lot of times when I’ll fast-forward through a lot of CloseUp, but it’s rare for GPS. Fareed is brilliant, an outstanding communicator, and a great producer. He often gets thoughtful, high-quality guests with un-parroted perspectives who just won’t come on anyone else’s show. He often references books and sites that are worth checking out. Comcast doesn’t provide GPS on On-Demand, and CNN wants $2 per show to stream it on the web. This is the one show I make sure I see every week.

Another show often worth watching is Bill Moyers’ Journal, on PBS. By comparison, it’s much slower-paced, harder for me to stay engaged. But if you want a deep dive on a topic he’s covering (usually for at least 30 minutes), the guests are usually pretty good.

• hannah February 26, 2013 at 5:55 am #

Al Jazeera streams on the web and has some very good documentaries. All of their programming only has ads on the half hour, so discussions can really get going on the talk shows. All programming is out of Doha, so it’s about eight hours ahead of the U.S.
      There’s a reason the U.S. networks have been obstructing Al Jazeera. It will be interesting to see whether purchasing Current TV will be enough to let them into the market.

• susaninrindge February 26, 2013 at 8:17 am #

I’m addicted to “Borgen” since finding it on LinkTV. It is a first rate political drama from Denmark, of all places –directed by the same man who did “The Killing” on AMC that ended last year.

I have already contacted DirectTV about continuing to carry Current when Al Jazeera takes over the programming and they assure me they will carry it. We’ll see… I know Comcast does not and now that we (in W. Rindge) will be getting his-speed fiber to our homes, I wonder if we will have an carrier for TV that brings us Current AND LinkTV. Somehow I doubt it!

And as for the potato, Jim… I don’t get it given NH abuts ME which is a true potato-growing/exporting state. If that’s the closest our kids can get to a “REAL” vegetable, I guess I’ll have to live with it!!

• susaninrindge February 26, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Sorry… I realize I did not make the critical connection between Al Jazeera, Current TV and LinkTV…. LinkTV currently broadcasts Al Jazeera news shows. It is a far left station out of California and has a broad world-view programming, including Al Jazeera (UK), Middle Eastern, African and European documentaries and news and music. They broadcast speeches by people like Noam Chomsky and others on the far left. It can be found on DirectTV @ 375 among a myriad of religious programming. With Al Jazeera purchasing Currnet TV, it remains to be seen if LinkTV will continue its programming from Dubai or not.

• susaninrindge February 26, 2013 at 10:07 am #

2. hannah February 26, 2013 at 6:01 am #

Posting hint. To separate a portion of a post for the front page, you can insert a break between paragraphs by selecting MORE from the tool bar.

3. Rep. Jim Splaine February 26, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Give me another hint: How do I create a link? A link to another WEB page, etc.? I’ve tried cut-and-cast. I’ve tried to follow the directions in the instructions, but it doesn’t respond the way I’ve been doing it. Thanks. – Jim