Read Me First! We’ll use this post to document open item, bugs, changes in functionality that people should know about. Please use the comment feature here to discuss any issues you are having.
Reset your User Account
You are going to need to reset your password and it is going to need to be a strong one
- Go here http://bluehampshire.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword
- Enter your username or the email address you used to create your account. If you do not have access to your old email account (really Dean a KUA domain?) Let me know and I can probably reset to a new email address for you.
- The system will send you an email with a link that will bring you back to the site to reset your password to a strong password you can remember.
Once you log in you should be able to comment on posts. Your first comment will be held for review, once it is approved future comments will not be held for spam testing.
UPDATE 1/11/13: Attempting to move to the “Disqus” system for comment.
- “Up and Down” voting of Comments
- “Flagging” Comments (current set to hide comment if it gets 3 flags)
- Integration of a persons comments across sites that use the Disqus System
- Integration of twitter etc.
You may comment via disqus with your Twitter or Facebook Identity if you choose to or you may create a separate Disqus Acct to do so (for privacy or Anonymity sake). Diaries and Comments are different logins.
Disqus comments are synchronized back to WP for safe keeping, but currently not displayed any where other than the sidebar.
I am trying to get our 130k comment history into Disqus but as you might imagine doing anything with 130k objects is difficult! Our historical comments (even as recent as yesterday) are currently not displaying but they are safe in the database. If I can not get Disqus to Import, or we decide we do not like the Disqus system we can revert back to std WordPress or another commenting system.
If you have created a diary in the last couple of months* I have given your user the ability to create a new post/diary. There are some things that need to be adjusted within the post creation interface but I think you will be able to figure things out. You can find a “New Post” link in the top Gray bar or in the “Meta Section” in the top right (http://grab.by/iPOI).
If you have not created a diary in the last couple of months let me know so I can give your user proper permissions. Hopefully this will not always be a manual process, but it the safest way to do it right now.
1/1/13 User Photos in Diaries: Some have noticed that some authors have photos in author profile. If you are interested in doing this as well you need an acct at “Gravitar” that uses the same email address as your acct here at BH. There may be some other ways to do this in the future directly here but for now it’s Gravitar.
Thing I consider “Open Issues” that will be addressed as I can.
- Getting old comments into Disqus
- Figure out “Frontpage” or ‘Featured’ Posts capability/configuration
- New users can not currently register (to protect from an influx of spam accts) Find Solution/Plugin.
- Configure User Roles/Permissions
- Define Categories
- Clean Up Tags
- Revise Getting Starting Page/Instructions
- There is no replacement functionality for the dedicated “Events”- This was a little used feature of the old site. We will replace it if we find a simple way to do it, otherwise member are encouraged to share their Events via Diary/Post.
- Purge inactive users
- Posts that reference images that were hosted on the old Soapblox Platform will be broken. (Images from flickr or other 3rd party sites should work fine) see if there is a resolution for this.
- Monetization: Adsense vs BlogAds Network. Subscriptions? Sponsorship?
- More advanced Search Features
- Consider http://www.joedolson.com/articles/wp-tweets-pro/
Askimet Set up for commnet Spam Protection Get Bitly URL shortener set up Post on Password reset RSS Feed Get Custom Google Search Working
Changes you may notice
- Users do not have access to their “User ID” number
- Comment Ratings were not converted
- Promotional Comments are probably gone.
* Users who should be able to post diaries
-Rep. Jim Splaine
-Zandra Rice Hawkins
-The Money Magician
-Kathy Sullivan 2
-Douglas E. Lindner
– Caitlin Rollo