24 Responses to 2016 the Republicans

1. daveMB November 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

It’s true that there is a precedent for a first-term Senator running for President, but the most recent one to attempt that feat had a compelling personal story detailed in a best-selling autobiography, a wildly successful speech at a national convention, and a record of personal accomplishment both before and after entering the U.S. Senate.  Anyone want to argue that Sen. Ayotte, appointed as AG based on a total misrepresentation of her positions and elected Senator against a weak opponent in a huge GOP wave election, has any of those things?

On the other hand, I remember seeing bumper stickers around rural MA in 1986-7, with some hysterically laughing cartoon figures and the caption “Dukakis for What?”  They turned out to be underestimating his chances drastically, at least for the nomination of a dispirited party.  Then again, Dukakis had a compelling personal story and a record of achievement, if not the charisma of a Barack Obama (to put it mildly).

2. Kathy Sullivan 2 November 22, 2012 at 12:46 am #

It would hurt the New Hampshire primary.

Boy, if she is openly contemplating a run, she has a remarkably over inflated sense of her abilities, doesn’t she? Thinking of Kelly Ayotte sitting in the Oval Office speaking to the nation about a crisis is not a happy thought, I don’t see her as someone who inspires  confidence in the people.

• hannah November 22, 2012 at 2:07 am #

their own capabilities. On the other hand, Republicans seem to be royalists, at heart, and perceive the presidency as a sort of rotating monarchy. They pick out figure heads, whose actual management obligations are few.
      Democracy is merely a selection process which provides more individuals an opportunity to sit on the throne.
      Think how many Presidents we’ve had while Elizabeth has occupied the throne.

• Mike Hoefer November 22, 2012 at 2:14 am #
  3. Dean Barker November 22, 2012 at 4:29 am #

I learned that former NH Attorney General and two-term Senator Rudman, who accomplished much and could easily have won a third term, who turned down a Clinton appointment, was singularly proud of having the fewest press releases of any Senator of his time.

This morning I learned that former NH Attorney General and one-third-term Senator Ayotte, who’s accomplished nothing, leaked her POTUS fantasy to Politico.

• Kathy Sullivan 2 November 22, 2012 at 8:28 am #

The leading potential Democratic candidate is Hillary Clinton, a woman of intelligence, strength and accomplishment. Republican Kelly Ayotte?
      Not so much.

• Rep. Jim Splaine November 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

I supported Hillary Clinton in 2008 because I saw a candidate of leadership and class, who happened to be a woman.

She has shown that leadership during the past few days, helping to broker an agreement for peace.  “Peace” is illusive, and may only be temporary in the Middle East, but she played the central role (but gave credit to others, rightly and diplomatically so) in saving lives.

When I first met Hillary Clinton at a small gathering in late 1991, when she was campaigning for her husband, I told her SHE should be running for President.

I think 2016 is a good time to do it.  She’ll be a quarter of a century wiser and even better than in 1991!

4. mevansnh November 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

This sad woman is delusional.  NH must make her a ONE TERM SENATOR.  John Lynch of Senate 2016.  That would be the best thing to happen for the state and the nation.

• xrk9854 November 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

I wonder if Gov Lynch would be interested?  Of course Gov Shaheen has already blazed the trail for him.

• Ray Buckley November 25, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Governor Maggie Hassan
        Congresswoman Carol Shea Porter
        Congresswoman Annie Kuster
        Councilor Colin Van Ostern
        Councilor Chris Pappas
        US Attorney John Kacavas
        State Senator Donna Soucy
        State Senator Andrew Hosmer
        State Senator Jeff Woodburn
        Mark Connolly
        Bob Lamb
        Alderman Garth Corriveau
        Mayor TJ Jean
        And many more including former office holders like Governor Lynch and former Congressmen Paul Hodes and Dick Swett

• FrankLloydMike November 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

by 2016, that will be Mayor Garth Corriveau. Though, if he decides not to run for mayor, I’d really love to see Bob Baines come out of retirement. There hasn’t been much vision from the top of city government since he left.

Also, while that’s a very solid list, there are so many others–currently in politics or not–who could be strong and interesting candidates. 2016 is a long way off, and in the meantime, I’d like to and expect to see all these people focusing on undoing the O’Brien mess and moving New Hampshire forward.

• cblodg November 26, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

Especially on cleaning up the O’Brien junta mess.  Unfortunately, the changes would have to be so radical and so swift that we (Democrats) could see swift backlash in 2014.  I fully agree with undoing the wrongs of the past two years, but they will have to be small steps at first.

• cblodg November 26, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

‘Name Recognition’.  In our small circles the names in the top three positions are well-known, but both Carol and Annie had tough fights and would be better served to remain in those seats for a time.  Everyone below that simply don’t have the name recognition (right now, of course there is time).  I don’t think Paul Hodes will run against the person he lost to, and I think Swett has been out of office and public life to the point he simply isn’t a player anymore.  Not to mention his wife’s multiple runs and not succeeding in them.

I personally can’t see Maggie as Senator, but that’s only in the short term, because I haven’t really gotten to know her governing style.  I’ll freely admit when I’m proven wrong, by the way.

I have been trumpeting John Lynch for Senate in 2016 since I heard he was not running for governor again.  As much as I think he would be a fantastic candidate (and would probably win in a landslide) I’m not so sure he has that wish.

• xteeth November 26, 2012 at 8:31 pm #
          • Ray Buckley November 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

I could have continued on for more than a dozen or so other names.

As to cblog’s name recognition statement, I believe that Judd Gregg (in 1988) was the last governor elected for the first time with name recognition over 10% at the start of the campaign.

• Ray Buckley November 27, 2012 at 8:11 am #
          • xteeth November 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

No one could see Carol as Congresswoman either.

• Ray Buckley November 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

that Jackie was appointed as CSP’s District Director. Jackie has decided to take a different course in life.

• xteeth November 27, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

that no one is allowed to do anything other than run for senate, before they run for senate? Not allowed to change course? Just hand sitting is approved? Seems to me that Palin never even finished one term as governor and was allowed to move up. If Republicants allow that (to say nothing of there being no laws against it) shouldn’t we allow for the same kind of progress? Or, perhaps she has communicated the “different course in life” thing to you directly. Isn’t this how rumors start and we wouldn’t want that would we?

• Ray Buckley November 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Yes, she has communicated that directly to me.

5. Icicle November 23, 2012 at 4:31 am #

…that she has the wisdom to accomplish the job.
    But I notice that the Republican Powers-That-Be in Washington are giving her some exposure, no doubt to make people a little bit familiar with her.
    Note her up-front role, with Sens McCain and Graham during the whole Bengazi thing, which turned out to be a debacle for the Rs, except for those completely locked inside their bubble of Foxification.
    It doesn’t matter to them that she has little experience, she would simply be the face of their policy, not the one actually calling the shots. Think G.W. Bush here. They would put a Cheney-style “minder” on the ticket with her and throw it at the wall, just to see if it sticks.

• StraffordDem November 23, 2012 at 6:24 am #

that a supposedly smart person like Ayotte would throw in with the two losers McCain and Graham.  McCain is done – he’s basically the cranky old guy in the GOP, and Graham soon will be once the whackos primary him with a Murdoch/Akin/O’Donnell clone.

Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Icicle November 25, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Recognition by those who hold power in the party at present is necessary to pick up the torch for them later on. I think she jumped on the Bengazi bandwagon to gain recognition, whether she agreed with the positions or not (and chances are, she does agree).
        I bet from her perspective, it’s just one more step toward power.

McCain and Graham are nearing the end of their careers (McCain will go before Graham will)and they need to groom others to carry the torch.
        The fact that they are carrying the torch backward instead of forward is important.

• Icicle November 28, 2012 at 2:38 am #

Here we go with the Leiberman comparisons!