Atlantic City

Hope you and yours are safe and warm. What’s going on in your corner of Blue Hampshire?

9 Responses to Atlantic City

1. Lucy Edwards October 30, 2012 at 7:15 am #

to the rain and wind gusting against the back wall of our house, which faces east at an elevation of 800 feet or so with nothing between us and the Atlantic but 25 miles of air.  Can’t believe the power is still on!

2. GreyMike October 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

unfold from across the pond in Germany, concerned for all our family, friends and neighbors in the Monadnock region and beyond. We won’t be back for more than a week (don’t worry, we’ve already voted absentee), and have no idea how things have fared in our neighborhood, but it seems the worst is to the south in NY, NJ, etc.

Hope you are all OK and not significantly affected by the storm!

3. Vis Unita Fortior October 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

But it was a relief that they got my home internet up after only about twelve hours’ outage.

Man oh man, it is so frustrating when you need to look something up and you know exactly which page on which web site has the information you need (while doing some computer programming, in my case) but you just… can’t… get to it.  The problem with the knowledge economy is that we don’t know anything when the internet is off.

On the other hand, I finally got around to watching my Netflix DVD of the immortal cinematic classic Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (trailer, full movie, NOT SAFE FOR WORK), an awesomely crass lampooning of the fast food industry featuring a Ron Jeremy cameo, just in time for Halloween.

• Vis Unita Fortior October 30, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

My apologies for the levity to anyone who’s suffering, I was working through most of the night in a windowless room and didn’t realize how serious the storm has been.

4. Dean Barker October 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Aldon is one of the pioneers of state/local/regional progressive blogging. He also has been a great friend to NH digital progressives.

His mother is one of the fatalities from Sandy.

(via Facebook)

5. TimothyHorrigan October 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Durham was dealt a very glancing blow.  Branches and trees are down, and  a few roads are closed, but it’s not too bad. Ditto for Newmarket, Madbury and Newington, though I can’t speak for any other neighboring communities.

As a former New Yorker, I am shocked by some of the reports from down there.  I didn’t realize a storm surge could flood Lower Manhattan to the extent we saw last night.

• hannah October 31, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Third day without power from the grid. Learning how to use a generator to keep food cold, make coffee and communicate–the essentials. :)

6. Lucy Edwards October 30, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

since our cable is down.  Remarkably little damage from that much sustained wind at our elevation.  Followed the disaster in my birthplace with growing horror and fear, I can’t see how we keep all the sea-level coastal cities going in the age of climate change.  We are fairly obvious not going to be able to stop the warming now, and if the GOP wins this election, NYC is toast, along with many of the rest of us.  And no, I am not crazed, this is real and deadly.

• hannah October 31, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

The notion that there is not enough money.
      N  The nation’s anorexia is not ver different from the individual version–a figment of the imagination.