Rep. Hikel Said What?

Every time I think the Republicans in the legislature can’t possibly think of anything new to do to outrage us, they manage to come up with something.  In today’s version of Planet O’Brien, John Distaso reports in the UL online that Rep. John Hikel, R-Goffstown, candidate for the state senate, repeatedly and loudly called Pamela Manney, former GOP vice chair, a “pole dancer” at a local Republican picnic.

“I’m just totally mortified,” Manney told the Granite Status. “I was never a pole dancer or a stripper. And he said it two more times and the more he said it, the more he advanced toward me.

“I thought we were friends,” Manney said of Hikel. She said she worked on behalf of Hikel’s campaigns for the House in the past but is supporting Greazzo in the current Senate primary.

I don’t think I can add anything to this, other than: seriously? He called her a pole dancer? Are you kidding me? And they say there isn’t a war on women?

, ,

23 Responses to Rep. Hikel Said What?

1. Lucy Weber May 22, 2012 at 12:44 am #

occurred when a State House staff member sent an email using the notorious All Reps function.  The message she sent to all Reps and all staff members was that an earring had been found in the LOB, and it could be retrieved from her office.  Here’s the response sent to every State Representative and State House staffer, from Rep. Mike Ball, Chair of the Manchester Republican Committee:

In a complete coincidence, D.J. is missing the nose ring that Shannon intends to use to lead him around for the rest of his life after they are married. Please help him get it back before she finds out that it is missing. He could be in big trouble.

Mike

If that is not tacky enough, Rep. Gary Hopper chimed in too:

Mike

I am deeply offended by you e-mail. Shannon is a lovely young lady who would never disrespect D.J. by leading him around with a nose ring. She got him a ankle monitor which is far less noticeable…

Gary
    (the other state rep from Weare)

I assume they think they are being funny.

• Lucy Weber May 22, 2012 at 2:47 am #

Shannon Shutts, Minority Leader DJ Bettencourt’s fiance, is employed by the Office of the Speaker, and is listed as Media Relations and Constituent Services.

Ms. Shutts is a State House employee.  Because of this, the sort of harassment seen above from individual Representatives is particularly inappropriate.

• hannah May 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

The female of the species is perceived as a threat. It’s probably impossible to measure, but the 2010 backlash was largely fueled by the sudden realization that women had gotten the upper hand.
      Insecure males feel impelled to be obnoxious, lest they be perceived as subservient to female interests. The mythology of the hen-pecked husband runs deep and needs to be rejected at every opportunity.
      That said, the politics of personal destruction goes hand in hand with the politics of personal adulation. In the binary universe, missing an opportunity to attack is equivalent to providing support.
      Earrings are funny things.  The only person I currently know who sports a diamond ear stud is the fellow who does our electrical work. Both sons gave them up long ago. Which suggests to me that the impulse to decorate the male person with bling was largely motivated by envy of something they really wanted to do for themselves, but feared they’d be ridiculed for.

• Rep. Jim Splaine May 22, 2012 at 7:12 pm #
  2. Ray Buckley May 22, 2012 at 2:25 am #

I am speechless!

• Rep. Jim Splaine May 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

…you’re just holding back.  Temporarily.

3. Jennifer Daler May 22, 2012 at 2:36 am #

to say something like that? And what about advancing toward her?

I do not agree with Pam Manney on matters of policy or politics, but she has always been a pleasant person and decent colleague. She has also done a great deal for the Republican Party over the years, standing at the polls for candidates, making calls, etc.

4. Kathy Sullivan 2 May 22, 2012 at 3:00 am #

Rep. Hikel has a great picture of himself with Ovide Lamontagne on his facebook page. I wonder if Ovide will disavow Rep. Hikel’s pole dancing comments? Ovide does hate taking a position on anything!!

• Tim C. May 23, 2012 at 12:21 am #

What’s not to like?

John Hikel answered 3 questions.
      May 31, 2011 – November 15, 2011

Do you support drug testing to get approval to be on Welfare?
         Which candidate has the better chance of beating President Obama in 2012?
          Rick Perry
         Do you think Congress should vote to raise the debt ceiling?
          NO – Future generations should not be saddled with debt from runaway spending.

5. susaninrindge May 22, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Poll dancer… I know it’s so cold at the polls sometimes, I stand there with my signs dancing around to keep warm….

6. Lucy Weber May 22, 2012 at 4:22 am #

DiStaso’s Granite Status is reporting that Hikel has apologized.  By cell phone message.

Ms. Manney says he has not said the right words.

“I don’t accept it because he simply never said he was wrong,” said Manney.

Sound familiar?  Perhaps the Speaker would lend them the House Special Committee on Apologies?

• Marjorie Porter May 22, 2012 at 4:57 am #

So much glamour and power!

• elwood May 22, 2012 at 4:59 am #

Unless you can have staffers weed out the non-apologies – the “if anyone was offended” stuff?

But then you might have no meetings at all…

• cyndychase May 22, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Lets both volunteer!  We could sit in judgement on all these guys.  What fun!

• TimothyHorrigan May 22, 2012 at 5:22 am #

Let’s make the Committee on Apologies a standing committee!

• Rep. Jim Splaine May 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

I think the House Committee on Apoligies needs citizen members.  How do I apply?  It could take a lot of hours, though.  Is there a job description?

• TimothyHorrigan May 22, 2012 at 5:21 am #

Rep. Hikel was the sponsor of the absurd Petition #26, filed on behalf of Ghislain Breton.  Mr. Breton is the guy who tried to trademark his name a few years ago, in an effort to stop two guardians ad litem and his own lawyer from collecting debts he owed them.

In all fairness to Mr. Breton, however, I should point out that one or more of my fellow Petitions & Redress Committee members think his petition has merit.

7. elwood May 22, 2012 at 5:04 am #

And she took offense?

• TimothyHorrigan May 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Even if she was a retired stripper, Hikel’s remarks would still be foolish. Disrespecting a stripper is a dumb thing to do, on all sorts of levels.

8. cyndychase May 22, 2012 at 5:06 am #

“And so it goes!” ’nuff said and shaking my head.

9. susanthe May 22, 2012 at 5:39 am #

are so suave, so debonair, so smooth with the ladies.

10. susanthe May 22, 2012 at 5:39 am #

are so suave, so debonair, so smooth with the ladies.