Diary Petri Dish

So an experiment of sorts.

Use the comments of this diary to submit your ideas for other dairies. Think of it as a “public commons”, a diary “nursery” or an html “database” for potential diary’s.

By posting your diary ideas you are accomplishing a number of things.

• You are letting letting the community know what you are interested in.
  • You may get some help from someone that knows about the topic you are interested in.
  • The ideas posted may inspire a lurker to share her expertise and write a diary themselves.

You never know what is going to happen in a petri dish so don’t post ideas that you want to maintain exclusivity on.

I’m thinking of it as a place to track things that would be interesting to hear about but don’t personally have the time to investigate/diary on.

I think it would work best as one idea per comment.

9 Responses to Diary Petri Dish

1. Mike Hoefer January 8, 2007 at 12:28 am #
  2. Mike Hoefer January 8, 2007 at 12:32 am #

I think there is something here in the feds requiring but not fully funding special ed. This put additional pressure on the property tax to fund education.

3. elwood January 8, 2007 at 1:42 am #

Does it really help us to become “Logan Airport North”?

What is the status of, and prospects for, light rail between NH and MA?

What has the effect been of having no efficient “East-West Highway”?

4. elwood January 8, 2007 at 1:45 am #

(This isn’t a statewide issue, but it probably has echoes elsewhere.)

Cheshire County has been stalemated on the location for a new jail for years. How much is NIMBY? How much is good social science? (Some advocates say, it should be closer to social services and court facilities — the “County Farm” is in Westmoreland today, not Keene.) How much is institutional paralysis: the commissioners versus the General Court delegation?

5. elwood January 8, 2007 at 3:54 am #
  6. Dean Barker January 8, 2007 at 4:30 am #

…in-state alternative energy R&D, and statehouse efforts to deal w/ climate change.

…effect of overseas deployments on NH Nat’l Guard.

…continued coverage of the civil union possibility.

…diaries from anyone who goes to a presidential primary event (of either party, btw), but who has not committed to a candidate yet.

…historical diaries on NH political history.

…a series on the executive council.

…what CSP & Hodes are up to in Washington.

…follow-up on the illegal robocalls of ’06.

…Town Meetin’ Day!

…perhaps a series on libertarianism and its relationship to NH.

…a closer look at the past, present and future of the Union Leader.

…if it comes to it, impeachment efforts town by town.

As you all probably surmise, I’ll be focusing heavily on Sununu and Iraq.

7. Nicholas Gunn January 8, 2007 at 4:46 am #

I’ve been thinking of some stories and features I’d like to see, and some i’d like to help make happen.

I’d like to see:
    -Tidbits on NH History / Political History
    Every once in a while, it would be nice to see some good diaries on relevant subjects in NH History.  This is something I feel like I’m always playing catch up on, given how young I am, ect.  I think a good way would be just to write one whenever the inspiration strikes you… especially those of us with a well of historical political tidbits I’m looking at YOU, elwood

-More Reporting from the Field
    I know this is something we’ll all probably be doing more of with Primary season coming up, but I really like ‘diaries from the field’, so to speak.  These don’t necessarily have to be about candidates, even.  Did you goto a Democrats meeting?  How about a public hearing about an issue?  Did you attend an interesting conference?  You know, things like this…  I might write some more of these when my semester starts up and interesting things come to my college.

Things I’d maybe like to work on:
    I’d like to see, and help create if I could, some sort of regular feature that keeps tabs on legislative issues going through the NH Legislature.  Not just the stuff we see in the Union Leader…  but it would be good to follow bills on  things we find interesting, or when a public hearing will be (more reporting from the field) ect.  This is something I’d really like to work on… if only I could figure out how to get information about whats going on in the NH Legislature.

Also, another interesting regular feature would be a review on NH Opinions.  Keep tabs on things being said in newspapers across the state.  This may need to be the kind of thing that several people work on… we could do it by reading our local papers, perhaps, and e-mailing the important bits in editorials to one person who would then compile a weekly(ish) diary.  We could also include things said on other blogs about NH Issues, ect.

Also, I just wanted to warn you all that I’ve had a few Meta diaries running around in my head.  I hope thats alright with you guys.

What do you think?

8. elwood January 8, 2007 at 5:46 am #

a discussion of whether New Hampshire’s First in the Nation Primary is a good thing or not.

• Nicholas Gunn January 8, 2007 at 5:58 am #

That one would probably turn into a bit of a flame war…

I suppose, however, that we probably should have one.